Connect with us

Published

on

Police uncover fake embassy, 2 Chinese nabbed
The Lagos State Police Command says it has discovered a fake embassy operating in Lagos where many innocent members of the public had allegedly been defrauded.

It was gathered that policemen attached to the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) had swooped on the ‘embassy’ and arrested two Chinese and two Nigerians.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the fake embassy was located at Golden Point and Suite on Duduyemi Street in Ejigbo, Lagos.

The RRS said the Chinese – Liu Honyang, 47; and Sun Xinai, 49 – and their Nigerian collaborators – Oriyomi Olawale, 47 and Desmond Chinedu, 25 – had been swindling Nigerians who had planned to travel out of the country.

It was learnt that the suspects issued mainly Trinidad and Tobago’s visas.

The RRS said the Trinidad and Tobago embassy in the country had confirmed the visas to be fakes, while disowning the two Chinese.

A RRS source told our correspondent that the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, directed the squad to act on the intelligence reports received from some victims of the ‘embassy.’

He said, “Some RRS policemen had lodged in the hotel for nine days, watching and monitoring the activities of the suspects before their eventual arrest.”

Some people, who claimed to be victims of the fraud, stormed the RRS headquarters on Sunday to write their statements against the suspects.
One of the victims, Adekunle Adefuye, said he met them through one of their agents, one Dorcas Slyver.

He said, “She is a daughter to my brother’s pastor in Abeokuta, Ogun State. I told her about my intention and zeal to travel to the United States. She told me to come to Lagos that she could procure the American visa for me.

“On getting to Lagos, she took me to the Chinese and I was advised to travel to Trinidad and Tobago. They said I would secure employment with at least $3,000 salary.

“I paid a total sum of N1.3m in installment for the process, including visa processing and flight fare.”

He said he was arrested immediately he got to Trinidad and Tobago on October 19, 2016, by the country’s immigration officers for coming into the country with a fake visa.

“I was arrested with another Nigerian. We spent two days with the police. They treated us like criminals trying to enter the country illegally. We were deported on October 22, 2016, and arrived in Nigeria the following day,” he added.
Another victim, Rasheed Ololade, said he paid N1.3m.

“I was fortunate to escape being jailed in Trinidad and Tobago for coming into the country with fake documents.

“They beat me up and starved me for two days. I was lucky to have been deported,” he added.
Another victim, Friday Owah, said he just paid N600,000 before the arrest.

He said, “I was introduced to them by one man, Mr. Oscar. They promised to secure the visa for me within two weeks.”

Another victim, Lukmon Odeyemi, who claimed to be a footballer, said he parted with N125,000.

But Sun Xinai, the main suspect, said she was unaware that a stamped visa for Trinidad and Tobago was no longer tenable in the country.

However, a response to a letter written by the RRS to the High Commission of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, dated December 7, 2016, read in part, “…the mission can categorically confirm that the individual Sun Xinai, who is claiming to be an agent of this mission, is unknown to us.

“Furthermore, this mission does not use the services of an agent in any capacity whatsoever and has never done so in the past either.

“With regard to the authenticity of the attached visas, the mission can also categorically confirm that those visas were not issued at this High Commission and are clearly fraudulent.”

The letter was signed by one Garth Lamsee, the acting High Commissioner.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, said the police had launched a manhunt for other agents of the fake embassy.

“Members of the public should be wary of visa agents. Anyone who wishes to travel out of the country should direct their application to the embassies,” she added.

She said the suspects had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba,for further investigation.

About verGr24.com Latest Celebrity news, Entertainment News Today | Est. 2016 Catch all the Juicy News Headlines on www.verge24.com Follow us Twitter: @TheVerge24 Facebook: @Verge24 Instagram: @Verge24 Email Us: hello@verge24.com

News

Donald Trump Agrees to meet Kim Jong Un

Published

on

Donald Trump Agrees to meet Kim Jong Un

Donald Trump Agrees to meet Kim Jong Un

The United States President Donald Trump has agreed to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the White House announced, setting the scene for a historic, unprecedented encounter.

The meeting, which would be the first between a sitting US president and a North Korean leader, will happen by May, according to South Korea’s national security adviser, Chung Eui-yong, who delivered the invitation to Trump after a visit by his delegation to Pyongyang earlier this week.
The stunning announcement is the culmination of a diplomatic whirlwind that began with the invitation of a North Korean delegation to the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. Trump’s decision to meet Kim, after a year in which the two have repeatedly traded insults, is a remarkable breakthrough — albeit one with uncertain consequences.

The South Korean delegation, which landed in Washington, D.C. for a debriefing Thursday on the North-South talks, was careful to praise Trump’s influence over the developments. Chung said the US President’s “leadership” and his administration’s pressure on the North Korean regime had “brought us to this juncture.”

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement that Trump “greatly appreciates the nice words” of the delegation and South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
“He will accept the invitation to meet with Kim Jong Un at a place and time to be determined. We look forward to the denuclearization of North Korea. In the meantime, all sanctions and maximum pressure must remain.”

There are many details to be ironed out before the meeting could take place, including the location. The Panmunjom truce village in the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), one possible venue, hosted meetings between North and South Korea in the run-up to the Winter Olympics.

Continue Reading

News

Nokia 7 Plus Sold Out In 5 Minutes In China

Published

on

Nokia 7 Plus Sold Out In 5 Minutes In China

Nokia 7 Plus Sold Out In 5 Minutes In China

The first batch of Nokia 7 Plus  releases in China has reportedly sold out in 5 minutes. Can I imagine ?

As soon as the virtual shop doors opened at 10:07am, it took only 5 minutes for all available units of the new Nokia phone to be sold out.

The phone sold for CNY 2,300 for the 4GB/64GB version and CNY 2,500 for the 6GB/64GB version (that’s €239 and €318 respectively).

There will be another batch available in about a week – on March 15 at 10:07am. Chances are that the new batch will be gone just as quickly. Of course, neither HMD nor the stores will say how many phones are in a batch.

As for people not in China, we’ll have to wait until April. The Nokia 7 plus is set to cost €400 in Europe (and it doesn’t look like the Old Continent will get the 6GB RAM version).

Continue Reading

News

King Mohammed VI of Morocco undergoes Successful Heart Surgery in France

Published

on

 King Mohammed VI of Morocco undergoes Successful Heart Surgery in France

King Mohammed VI of Morocco undergoes Successful Heart Surgery in France

King Mohammed VI of Morocco yesterday underwent a successful heart surgery in France, state news agency MAP reports.

The 54-year old monarch was treated at a Ambroise Paré Clinic in Paris after he had been diagnosed with an “atrial flutter”. The surgery normalised the heart rhythm, and the king would be able to resume his duties without any restrictions.

The photo of King Mohammed VI on the hospital bed, surrounded by relations has since leaked on the internet. A full statement from MAP read:

“HM the king had on Saturday 20th January 2018 a heart rhythm disorder. The doctors of HM the King said that medical examinations carried out for this purpose revealed an atrial flutter. The ablation by radio frequency of this arrhythmia, performed today at the Ambroise Paré clinic in Paris, allowed the normalization of the heart rhythm. At the end of a rest period as prescribed by his treating physicians, HM the King will resume his normal activities without any restriction.”

King Mohammed VI of Morocco undergoes Successful Heart Surgery in France

Statement by the medical team composed of: Dr Abdelaziz Maouni, Dr Olivier Thomas, Dr Sébastien Bloc, Dr Olivier Dubourg, Dr Ali Chaib, Dr Lahcen Belyamani. The king, who heads the Muslim world’s longest-serving dynasty, took office in 1999 after his father, Hassan II, died of a heart attack.

The political and social stability of Morocco is closely watched by Western governments as it is the only country in North Africa where jihadist groups have failed to gain a foothold, and is an important partner against Islamist militancy in terms of intelligence-sharing.

The kingdom has escaped mass uprisings such as in Egypt, Libya or other Arab countries, but protests have erupted since 2016 in some rural areas against poverty and unemployment. Morocco has averted previous protests with a combination of limited constitutional reforms, heavy policing and hefty public spending.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Popular