Connect with us

Published

on

Man gets jail sentence over Trump death plot
A British man has been sentenced to 12 months and one day in prison over his attempt to grab a gun in a bid to kill Donald Trump.

Michael Sandford, 20, pleaded guilty in September to being an illegal alien in possession of a firearm and disrupting an official function.

He was accused of grabbing a policeman’s gun at a rally in Las Vegas in order to shoot at the candidate.
His mother says “he is remorseful over what he did”.

Sandford, of Dorking, Surrey, had faced up to 10 years in prison over the alleged assassination plot.

The court heard that he could be eligible for release in four months’ time, at which point he will be deported to the UK.

The defence team said their client is autistic and suffers seizures and obsession-compulsion anxiety.
In the courtroom – James Cook, BBC News, Las Vegas
Michael Sandford appeared in court in orange prison garb, looking pale and slight, his ankles shackled.

He smiled as members of his family waved to him and mouthed: “I love you.”

Sandford then broke down in tears as he apologised for what he had done and for taking up time and costing the taxpayer money.

“I just feel terrible about it,” he said.

The judge James Mahan appeared sympathetic, telling Sandford: “I don’t think you harboured malice in your heart.”

His mother, Lynne Sandford, also addressed the judge, saying her son was “cherished and adored”.

“It breaks my heart to see him in this environment,” she said, as she appealed for a lenient sentence on the basis that her son needed treatment and the support of his family.

After Sandford was arrested, he told officers he had planned to shoot the billionaire Republican candidate.
He failed to pull the weapon from an officer’s holster, the court heard.

His mother said that she had lost contact with her son after he left home to travel around the US in 2015.
He had previously shown no interest in politics, and she was unable to explain why he would want to shoot Mr Trump.

According to court documents, Sandford, who was homeless and living in the US illegally having overstayed his visa, told the Secret Service that he had driven from California to Nevada with the goal of shooting Mr Trump.

The papers detail how he had been plotting the attack for around a year and had gone to a gun range in Las Vegas the day before the attack to learn how to shoot, firing 20 rounds from a 9mm Glock pistol.

He reportedly told an officer that he had expected to die in the attack but that he also had tickets for a later Trump rally in Arizona in case he needed a second chance.

Judge James C Mahan described the incident as “a crazy stunt”.

“You have a medical problem,” the judge told Sandford, adding that it is “nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.”

“I don’t see you as evil or a sociopath,” the judge said, wishing Sandford luck as he rose to leave the courtroom.

About verGr24.com Latest Celebrity news, Entertainment News Today | Est. 2016 Catch all the Juicy News Headlines on www.verge24.com Follow us Twitter: @TheVerge24 Facebook: @Verge24 Instagram: @Verge24 Email Us: hello@verge24.com

News

Liberia’s Ruling Party Expels President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

Published

on

Liberia's Ruling Party Expels President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

Liberia’s Ruling Party Expels President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

The Liberia’s ruling Unity Party has ousted the country’s outgoing president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, from the party.

President, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf was voted out of Unity party late Saturday over her decision not to support Vice President Joseph Boakai, the party’s candidate in last year’s presidential poll.

Joseph Boakai, who has been President Johnson Sirleaf’s vice for 12 years, lost the election to former football superstar, George Weah.

George Weah visits Prophet TB Joshua

The one time world best footballer of the year won the presidential runoff by 61.5 percent of the votes casted in 14 of Liberia’s 15 counties.

Prior to the presidential runoff, Weah visited Prophet TB Joshua in Lagos, Nigeria to seek the face of God and prayers.

Continue Reading

Naija News

This is Why Buhari Could be impeached

Published

on

President Buhari reportedly signs Proclamation labelling IPOB as Terrorist Group

This is Why Buhari Could be Impeached

Adesina Ogunlana, the President of Nigeria Bar Association, Ikeja branch has condemned President Muhammadu Buhari’s silence and inaction on herdsmen killings around the country.

According to Adesina Ogunlana, Buhari’s attitude is enough ground for him to be impeached.

While talking to the press, Adesina said the President is indirectly approving the killing by Fulani herdsmen. In his words:

“We have seen the federal government display its might and concern for security in certain parts of the country, the question and puzzle now is why the government is quiet in the face of the Fulani herdsmen which has led to the massacre of thousands of people and displacement of thousands of people from their normal abode.”

“The baffling silence, indifference and very low key response to the menace of the Fulani herdsmen who have been rated as the fourth deadliest terrorist organization in the world. This has raised grave allegation of partiality against the Federal Government in its clear relation to the menace of the Fulani herdsmen who have become notorious for mass slaughter of Nigeria people.

“We are joining hands and crying against the governor that it has not done enough. The chief reason, responsibility and duty of government is to ensure the security of life in its area. I dare say that the failure of the government to rise to the issue is enough ground for the impeachment of the President.

“Government where it fails to do its duty especially where it appears that indolence and ineptitude is deliberate and contrived, people would come to their own rescue and there would be no sympathy for that kind of a government.”

Continue Reading

Naija News

Forbes: Aliko Dangote Remains Africa’s Richest Man

Published

on

50 Most Influential People; Bloomberg honours Dangote

Forbes: Aliko Dangote Remains Africa’s Richest Man

Billionaire business man Aliko Dangote, has again been named Africa’s richest man with a net worth of $12.2billion.

This is the for the seventh year in a row Dangote is topping the list of Africa’s richest man. He got an increase of $100m from a year earlier.

Only recently he was selected as the only African named in Bloomberg’s world 50 best persons in the year 2017.

Diamond mining heir, Nicky Oppenheimer of South Africa, is named number two on the list of Africa’s richest people with a net worth of $7.7bn. Making a whopping $700m from last year.

A notable change in the Forbes Billionaire List this year is the dropping of some notable Nigerians which includes Globacom Chairman, Mike Adenuga (5th richest man in Africa), with a net worth of $5.8bn, and Folorunsho Alakija (15th Richest in Africa), whose estimated $1.6bn fortune is in oil exploration.

However, two of the 23 listed African billionaires are women (unchanged from 2016) and they are; Isabel dos Santos, the daughter of Angola’s former President, Jose Santos, is worth an estimated $2.7bn, down from $3.2bn in 2016. Her net worth dropped in part due to a lower value for Banco BCI, as its book value plunged in 2016 amid a tough year for the oil-producing country.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Popular