Connect with us

Published

on

Notorious kidnapper Evans wins first case in court

A Federal High Court in Lagos will on August 29 deliver judgment in the N300 million fundamental human rights suit filed by the alleged infamous kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike a.k.a Evans.

Onwuamadike had filed the suit seeking N300 million compensation and challenging his continued detention by the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, since June 10.

Joined in the suit are the Nigeria Police, Lagos State Police Commissioner and the State Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS)

At Wednesday’s proceedings, Henry Obiazi, counsel to the IGP and the Police, told the court that the case involved murder, armed robbery and kidnapping which are all capital offences.

Obiazi, requesting that the N300 million suit should be dismissed, citing Section 35 (7) of the 1999 Constitution.

He noted that the fundamental rights suit of the applicant was not absolute and that Onwuamadike would soon be arraigned in court by the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

“Though the Constitution guarantees the fundamental rights of every Nigerian citizen, these rights are not absolute. When it has to do with capital offences, I urge the court to hold that the application is unmeritorious and should dismiss it,”  he said.

In his submission, Emmanuel Eze, counsel to the State Police Commissioner and SARS, noted that the applicant has not showed any cause of action against his clients.

Eze told the court that Onwuamadike was arrested by the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) set up by the IGP and not by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police or SARS.

He faulted claims that Onwuamadike was subjected to a trial by media, noting that no material fact has been placed before the court.

He alleged that prior to his arrest, the alleged kidnap kingpin had been involved in numerous robberies including several attacks on bullion vans with an undisclosed number of policemen losing their lives.

“My Lord, it is not up to 90 days that the applicant was arrested; besides, there is an order of the court for his remand. The applicant is an international kidnapper terrorizing states across the country, I urge the court to dismiss this application with punitive costs. That will serve as a deterrent to others who may want to file such a frivolous application in future,” Eze said.

However, counsel to Onwuamadike, Olukoya Ogungbeje, in his submission, requested that the court should hold that the respondents had acted contrary to the law by detaining him since June 10.

He countered claims by the lawyers to the respondents that an accused who has allegedly committed a capital offence can be detained by an order of court.

According to Ogungbeje, the assertion is only applicable where an accused seeks bail after arraignment.

“The proper thing for the respondents to do is to have the applicant arraigned and later inform the court about the capital nature of the offence upon which he may then be remanded in their custody.”

After listening to the submissions of the lawyers, Justice Abdul-Azeez Anka, adjourned the case until August 29 for judgment.

About verGr24.com Latest Celebrity news, Entertainment News Today | Est. 2016 Catch all the Juicy News Headlines on www.verge24.com Follow us Twitter: @TheVerge24 Facebook: @Verge24 Instagram: @Verge24 Email Us: hello@verge24.com

Naija News

Sacked PHCN Staff Electrocuted while doing illegal Connection

Published

on

Sacked PHCN Staff Electrocuted while doing illegal Connection

Sacked PHCN Staff Electrocuted while doing illegal Connection

A former staff of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company BEDC, in Agbor, Delta State, who was dismissed in 2009, was, on Tuesday, electrocuted in Agbor.

According to reports, the deceased, identified as Monday Ebor, was illegally working on high tension lines when electricity was restored.

Eboh who was wanted by BEDC for his illegal activities which destroyed many transformers, was said to be illegally diverting lines from one feeder to another when power was restored.

Continue Reading

News

United Kingdom Accepting Naira Payments from Nigerian Business Owners

Published

on

United Kingdom Accepting Naira Payments from Nigerian Business Owners

United Kingdom Accepting Naira Payments from Nigerian Business Owners

Former President of the Nigerian-British Chamber of Commerce (NBCC)Dapo Adelegan, has announced that the British Government will henceforth begin accepting Nigerian currency from Nigerian business owners in the UK.

Adelegan made the assertion in an interview on Wednesday in Lagos.

The British Government on February 9, through its export credit agency, UK Export Finance (UKEF), said it will accept Naira payments from Nigerian business owners trading with the UK.

Adelegan said that the initiative was a monumental step that will deepen trade, open more opportunities, expand patronage and market scope of products from both countries.

“If we look at the quality of manufactured equipment and technology; Made-in-Britain is number one.

“Through this, we will access technology transfer, boost the capacity of workforce and impact on our outputs of consumables and products in the market.

“It is a win-win situation that will go beyond procurement, as there are multiple layers of benefits that this will bring to the economy,’’ Adelegan said.

Joyce Akpata, Director-General, Nigerian-American Chamber of Commerce (NACC), also said the initiative will ease importation of goods from the UK to Nigeria and strengthen economic ties.

“The UK has the largest concentration of Nigerians in the diaspora and given cultural ties, it is something that should have happened before now,’’ Akpata said.

The director general said the initiative would improve knowledge sharing and technology transfer.

“We will see a lot of businesses in the UK supplying equipment and machinery backed by this finance to their Nigerian counterparts.

“This will enhance the activities of manufacturers, especially the growing SMEs that are into processing.

“It will also take off issues of foreign exchange challenges and instability in the market,’’ she said.

Akpata noted that the scheme would be a welcome opportunity for most Nigerian businesses that could not access financing locally.

She urged other countries, especially the United States, to take a cue from the UK to evolve initiatives that will assist businesses to maximise opportunities and strengthen trade ties.

Trade experts put the value of trade between Nigeria and the UK at about £8 billion, with oil and gas making up 60 per cent of the figure.

Continue Reading

Featured

South Africa’s Embattled President Jacob Zuma resigns

Published

on

President Zuma must face corruption charges - Supreme court rules

South Africa’s Embattled President Jacob Zuma resigns

The embattled President of South Africa, Jacob Zuma has resigned his office with immediate effect.

Zuma made the announcement in a televised address to the nation on Wednesday evening.

Earlier, Mr Zuma’s governing ANC party told him to resign or face a vote of no confidence in parliament on Thursday.

The 75-year-old has been under increasing pressure to give way to Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, the ANC’s new leader.

Mr Zuma, who has been in power since 2009, faces numerous allegations of corruption.

His resignation came at the end of a long speech in which he said he disagreed with the way the ANC had acted towards him.

He said he did not fear a motion of no-confidence, adding: “I have served the people of South Africa to the best of my ability.”

According to President Zuma, violence and division within the ANC had influenced his decision to step down.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Popular