Connect with us

Published

on

Pablo Escobar's family slams Netflix with $1b suit

Netflix has been slammed with a $1 billion law suit by Pablo Escobar’s 71-year-old brother, Roberto de Jesus Escobar Gaviria over the popular series “Narcos” which dramatised the Colombian drug kingpin, Pablos Escobar.

According to the Hollywood Reporter. Gaviria, who owns Escobar Inc., filed the suit last year after taking issue with Netflix’s use of Pablo Escobar’s name, and his story, without permission. Escobar’s surviving brother, Gaviria, suggested the show’s producers are not cut out for filming in such cartel-infested locales as Mexico and Colombia. He went on to threaten them by adding that they would benefit from the hiring of “hitmen as security”. He also threatened to “close their little show” if the streaming giant failed to provide a $1 billion payment to his company, Escobar Inc., for intellectual property violations.

Speaking to the Hollywood Reporter from his home in Colombia, Gaviria said: “I don’t want Netflix or any other film production company to film any movies in Medellin or Colombia that relates to me or my brother Pablo without authorization from Escobar Inc. It is very dangerous. Especially without our blessing. This is my country.”

Referencing his legal battle against the streaming platform, he said: “Netflix are scared. They sent us a long letter to threaten us. Right now, we are in discussions… to obtain our $1 billion payment. If we don’t receive it, we will close their little show.”

Amidst the threats, Carlos Munoz Portal, a Narcos location scout,  was shot dead on the job in the rural region north of Mexico City on Sept. 11. A lot of people believe his death might be related to the threats and the $1 billion lawsuit from Escobar Inc.

Last July, Gaviria spoke about the $1 billion demand and doubted the show, which has already been renewed for a fourth season, would even have a second season.

Speaking about Netflix in July of 2016, Pablo’s brother said: “A billion is what we used to make in a good week in the 1980s and 1990s. Apparently money is now growing on trees in favor of Netflix after my show was released. They should pay me immediately.

“First of all, this man is Brazilian and not Colombian. Tell me about this man, what has he done? Does he have any real experience in acting? Does he have any real experience in making cocaine transactions? Has he laundered billions of dollars? Or is he sucking on his thumb and drinking his mother’s breast milk to this date? I believe it is the latter.”

“I don’t think that there will be any second season in September of this year. My mother once told me when I was young, to always listen to the older men in Medellin, Colombia. Now I am old, and if they don’t listen to me, I will be sure to be heard. Not only will my voice be heard, I will be compensated fairly,” he said via Escobar Inc. COO Daniel D. Reitberg.

Lawyers for Narcos Productions, LLC, the company behind the Netflix series and the video game spinoff “Narcos: Cartel Wars,” wrote a letter claiming Gaviria attempted to register trademarks in August 2016 for “Narcos” and “Cartel Wars” for a range of goods and services.

In the letter, Narcos Productions LLC lawyer Jill M. Pietrini, wrote: “For example. Escobar (Inc.) claims that it has used ‘Narcos’ in connection with things like ‘operating a website’ and ‘game services provided online from a computer network’ since Jan. 31, 1986. However, the internet had not been developed for widespread consumer use in 1986, nor was the capability to provide audiovisual works nor game services available at that time.”

Still, Roberto de Jesus Escobar Gaviria means business. He told Hollywood Reporter: “I don’t play around with these people in Silicon Valley. They have their phones and nice products. But they don’t know life and would never dare to survive in the jungle of Medellin or Colombia. I have done that.”

About verGr24.com Latest Celebrity news, Entertainment News Today | Est. 2016 Catch all the Juicy News Headlines on www.verge24.com Follow us Twitter: @TheVerge24 Facebook: @Verge24 Instagram: @Verge24 Email Us: hello@verge24.com

Celebrity News

King Ayo Balogun, Wizkid’s Son Just Turned 2 today 🎊

Published

on

King Ayo Balogun, Wizkid's Son Just Turned 2 today 🎊

King Ayo Balogun, Wizkid’s Son Just Turned 2 today 🎊

King Ayo Balogun, Wizkid’s second son has turned two today.

Binta Diamond Diallo, took to her instagram page to share pics of Ayo accompanied with a birthday message.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KING👑❤️ @king_ayo_ 🎉🎊🎂🎁 God bless you🙏 #myson

Although the music superstar, Wizkid is yet to wish his son a happy birthday.

See more pics below.

King Ayo Balogun, Wizkid's Son Just Turned 2 today 🎊

 

Continue Reading

Celebrity News

Cristiano Ronaldo Seen Selling Frozen Chicken In Lagos

Published

on

EXCLUSIVE: Ronaldo cried for many days

Cristiano Ronaldo Seen Selling Frozen Chicken In Lagos

If you think you are having a bad day, then you’ve got to rethink that as Cristiano Ronaldo is currently having one of the worst part of his career.

the Portuguese attacking forward who has been having one of the worst goal drought of his career was spotted at Ipaja selling frozen chicken.

Real Madrid was beaten on Saturday after Valencia scored a late goal to pile more pressure on Zidane and his men.

See the billboard of Cristiano Ronaldo selling frozen chicken below as shared by a twitter user.

Continue Reading

Celebrity News

Hollywood Walk of Fame: Mary J. Blige Gets a STAR

Published

on

Hollywood Walk of Fame: Mary J. Blige Gets a STAR

Hollywood Walk of Fame: Mary J. Blige Gets a STAR

American singer Mary J. Blige got what could be called a perfect birthday gift as she turned 47 on January 11th, 2018.

The nine time Grammy award winning R’n’B singer was honoured with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

During the unveiling ceremony, Mary J. recalled her childhood in the projects in New York and the big dreams that helped her become whom she is today. In her words;

“I loved to sing, It set me free from all of the negativity and all of the confusion happening outside of our home. God gave me the strength to keep steppin’ and keep my head up regardless of what anybody thought about me, regardless of what anybody said about me.

I see myself clear and it’s not all pretty, but I accept the beautiful mess that I am because it’s an imperfect me, still learning, still growing, still Mary though” she said.

Sean Combs whom is also known as Diddy and Blige’s longtime friend joined the unveiling. He said;

“this is about our sister getting her star, her true recognition. But this thing is also about family. We’ve been through a whole lot. We started from nothing.

I used to pick Mary up from the projects. I had me a Volkswagen Rabbit. I had two rims on it because I couldn’t afford four we would just drive down the highway in New York, and we would just dream. We would say, ‘We wanna be somebody. We wanna be big, we wanna be something for our people. And we wanna come and shake up the world.’ And we did that.”

Mary J Blige has eight multi-platinum music albums to her name and has sold over 50 million copies worldwide.

Hollywood Walk of Fame: Mary J. Blige Gets a STAR

Over the course of her 25-year career, Mary J has received 31 Grammy nominations. Her newest project at the moment is a big screen drama “Mudbound” which she was starred in.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Popular