Afghan Mosque Attack leaves many worshipers dead

Afghan Mosque Attack leaves many worshipers dead

Not fewer than 60 people have been reported dead in two separate attacks on mosques in Afghanistan, officials say.

According to survivors, a gunman entered into a Shia Muslim mosque in Kabul and opened fire at unsuspecting worshipers before detonating an explosive device that killed 39 worshipers.

A Similar attack at another Sunni Muslim mosque in Ghor province left 20 people dead.

Islamic State (ISIS) has however claimed the attack on Kabul’s Imam Zaman mosque, but provided no evidence for the claim.

The terrorist sect has previously targeted Shia mosques across Afghanistan.

The new attacks bring to at least 176 the number of people killed in bomb attacks across the country this week.

The gunman reported opened fire as worshipers gathered for Friday prayers, before detonating a bomb.

Kabul police spokesman Basir Mojahid confirmed the incident at the Shia mosque in Kabul, but did not give further details.

A spokesman for the Afghan interior ministry said investigators were working at the scene to determine the “nature of the explosion,” AFP news agency reports.

The attack on the Sunni mosque in Ghor, central Afghanistan, also killed a pro-government militia commander, according to reports.

Details of the attacks remain unclear and the number of casualties is likely to rise. Dozens of worshiper were also injured, Afghan’s health ministry said.

You might also like More from author

Comments

Loading...
%d bloggers like this: